Reports to: GM
Direct the financial operations of the hotel to ensure the security of hotel assets. Report to GM’s and owners on financial state of hotel and make recommendations to improve hotel profitability. Serve as primary contact for all hotel financial- and accounting-related issues with owners, auditors (internal and external) and regulatory agencies.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Use financial analysis, data trends and market information to anticipate needs, identify operating/financial issues, and recommend actions to maximise financial return.
· Create the annual operating budget for the property and provide analytical support during budget reviews to identify cost saving and productivity opportunities for department heads.
· Analyse ROI for capital projects prior to committing funds and upon completion determine if anticipated results were achieved.
· Maximise cash flow performance of the hotel through controls on inventory (avoid excessive supply), credit and collection, disbursements, deposits and remittances.
· Review rates and recommend rate strategy to the General Manager; participates in sales strategy meetings.
· Manage day-to-day activities, plan and assign work, and establish performance and development goals for team members. Provide mentoring, coaching and regular feedback to help manage conflict, improve team member performance, and recognize good performance.
· Educate, train and motivate finance and accounting teams to achieve hotel revenue goals. Ensure staff has the information, market data, tools and equipment to successfully carry out job duties. Provide direction to hotel employees on how decision making impacts profits.
· Promote teamwork and quality service through daily communication and coordination with key department heads.
· Respond quickly to guest requests in a friendly manner. Follow up to ensure guest satisfaction.
· Ensure accounting practices, support the guest experience through payment options (example: credit card systems, room charges), inventory controls and financial dispute resolution.
· Implement and maintain acceptable accounting practices as required by company policy and procedures.
· Develop and implement financial control procedures and systems; maintain records for internal and external audits; ensure compliance with government regulations; and contractual agreements.
· Participate in local recognized professional and industry organisations
· Manage hotel contracts (example: vendor leases and/or service contracts).
Perform other duties as assigned. May also serve as manager on duty.
This is the top Accounting job in a large full service, luxury, or resort hotel. Typically supervises clerical accounting employees in a full range of functions such as Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Credit/Collections, Purchasing, Audit, Payroll, and/or Accounting Operations.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
Bachelor’s degree / higher education qualification / equivalent in Accounting, Finance and 4-8 years in hotel accounting or audit with at least one year in an Assistant Controller or similar supervisory role, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience. Knowledge of accounting management duties such as negotiating hotel space and tenant leases; processing payroll; performing asset management duties; providing business projections, displacement analysis, preparing government reports, filing tax returns, etc. as needed or requested. Professional accounting or finance designation or certification preferred. Must speak local language(s). Other languages preferred.
The statements in this job description are intended to describe the essential nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be ALL responsibilities or qualifications of the job